Who doesn’t love food?
We all love to stock our kitchens with yummy snacks, fruits and chocolates.
But have you ever wondered if poison may be lurking in your pantry, among your beloved foods?
Here are foods that could potentially kill you!
Watch out for cherry seeds, which contain poisonous hydrogen cyanide. Aside from being nearly impossible to chew, or crack with your teeth, cherry seeds contain cyanogenic compounds that turn to cyanide when crushed. Don’t worry if you accidentally swallow a cherry pit. They’re rarely poisonous when eaten whole. But be sure to avoid broken cherry seeds. Just one or two are enough to kill you.
Almonds may have many health benefits — but they are also potentially full of poison. Bitter almonds, while in their raw form, are full of cynaide. They need to go through a specialized heat treatment in order to remove the toxins.
3. Apple Seed
Apples and stone fruits — cherries, plums, apples, pears, peaches, and apricots — are nature’s candy, but stay away from the seeds, bark and leaves. They contain amygdalin, a compound that produces cyanide. Large doses can lead to dizziness and vomiting, increased blood pressure, kidney failure, coma, and even death. Don’t stress if you’ve accidentally swallowed an apple seed. Swallowing apple seeds whole won’t kill you. But crack one open with your teeth and you’re in danger of toxicity.
4. Castor Oil
Castor oil comes from the castor bean, and the reason it’s not a household oil like coconut or olive is its beans are loaded with the poison ricin. One single bean has enough ricin to kill over 1,000 people if the purified toxin is injected or inhaled. And eating five to 10 of the whole beans would prove to be fatal, too.
Don’t freak out, though. The oil used as a food additive and flavoring agent is void of ricin, so if you wish to buy it, just make sure it was produced adhering to safety guidelines.
Also Read: First Ever Transgender Football Referee
Did you know that peanuts are one of the most common causes of food allergies? In US alone, 3 million people are allegoric to peanuts. But before you sigh in relief, thinking of all the times you had peanuts and did not die, here’s another fact: you can develop a food allergy at any point in life
From a mild aggravation to a full-blown anaphylactic reaction, peanuts can constrict your airways and render you unconscious even if you’ve never had a previous reaction. To err on the safe side, visit an allergy specialist if your mouth itches after you pop a few peanuts.
Potatoes have both poisonous stems and leaves, but even so, potato poisoning is rare. Most potato-related death come from eating green potatoes or drinking potato leaf tea. So you can still eat your French fries without fear of dying.
A severe allergic reaction to shellfish can inhibit breathing and even be life-threatening. If your mouth itches, you develop hives, or a stomachache after eating crab, lobster, and other shellfish, you may be one of the nearly 7 million people who suffer with the condition. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, vomiting, and can even lead to death if untreated.
We don’t mean to alarm you or prevent you from enjoying your favorite snacks or some nutritious fruits, nuts and veggies but it’s always good to be aware of dangers.
Take note of where poisonous chemicals are lingering and avoid them!